Amulets and Armor Forum

Amulets and Armor => Community Edition => Topic started by: peewee_RotA on February 09, 2015, 05:38:11 PM

Title: LUA progress
Post by: peewee_RotA on February 09, 2015, 05:38:11 PM
Has there been any further progress? I grabbed a copy of the repo and started looking into it.

There's a project structure issue that crashes it at the moment. Lua can't create the directory for the character saves and just crashes with a generic error. I'm trying to add in another package to solve this issue because I'm sure it will come back up.
Title: Re: LUA progress
Post by: LysleShields on February 10, 2015, 09:17:29 PM
Hey there,

I just pushed up some updated files including some example character files.  I hope that helps you get further, but the game engine was not working at the time with Lua.

I've been rotating between projects and need to rotate back over to A&A Lua for the Community Edition.
Title: Re: LUA progress
Post by: peewee_RotA on February 12, 2015, 04:53:13 AM
Awesome! Thanks. Noticed you included a few of those save files and the folder so it's not going to hit that error at the moment :D

Also got a smile seeing quest 7 in there. Along those same lines, I may be taking a detour to play through the demo quest. Haven't seen that one in a while. From what I remember there's just no bronze knights... but nostalgia.
Title: Re: LUA progress
Post by: peewee_RotA on February 12, 2015, 05:06:41 AM
I hate to be a bother again, but sounds.zip is missing. I wonder if there's more res files moved that way. Which is awesome news, btw. It really opens the door for content modding! :D
Title: Re: LUA progress
Post by: LysleShields on February 13, 2015, 09:06:13 AM
I went ahead and pushed up the sounds.zip file, but you're going to be quickly disappointed.  I need to finish up the .zip conversion and the code is not all there.  I guess I should have waited before pushing any of that up.

I'll try to finish up that phase of the work this weekend.  Just looking at the resources in file folder format makes me want improve so many more things (move textures to subdirectory, change descriptions to a single file, convert many of the smaller data files into human readable files, etc.)
Title: Re: LUA progress
Post by: peewee_RotA on February 14, 2015, 04:33:48 AM
Thanks. I have it pointed at the .res again for the moment. Got a simple bug fixed on the character loading screen and started in on town UI.
Title: Re: LUA progress
Post by: LysleShields on February 14, 2015, 05:05:39 PM
I've just pushed up a version that no uses the .zip files instead of the .res files.  The core data in those files are the same as the .res files, so no changes there yet.

The town needs a fair amount of work, but I was working on the banner last and trying to get all those pieces working again.
Title: Re: LUA progress
Post by: Roarkes on August 15, 2015, 11:40:57 AM
I've just pushed up a version that no uses the .zip files instead of the .res files.  The core data in those files are the same as the .res files, so no changes there yet.

The town needs a fair amount of work, but I was working on the banner last and trying to get all those pieces working again.

With what lua version is different ?
Title: Re: LUA progress
Post by: peewee_RotA on November 22, 2015, 08:42:53 AM
I started messing with PNG loading in a different branch but it brings me back to this project. are there any non-pushed commits? I'd like to take another stab at it.
Title: Re: LUA progress
Post by: LysleShields on November 22, 2015, 02:49:26 PM
I have some stuff checked out, but I need to verify what state it is in before pushing it.  Think I was working on the town user interface.
Title: Re: LUA progress
Post by: LysleShields on November 23, 2015, 09:18:46 PM
I have pushed in all my latest code.   The town is still in disarray, but at least its running.
Title: Re: LUA progress
Post by: peewee_RotA on November 24, 2015, 11:08:55 AM
Great! Thanks!
Title: Re: LUA progress
Post by: TheLastZica on February 14, 2016, 01:19:52 PM
Just want to express my input that personally, I'd really, really rather not work with Lua. Based on what I've seen so far, I'd much rather see one of these implemented:

http://www.angelcode.com/angelscript/
http://squirrel-lang.org/

Unfortunately finding info on what their requirements are proved more difficult than expected; really, a large-scale scripting language like this for A&A would need to be both C-like (C block syntax, not Basic/Pascal) and able to be put into the DOS port soas to then automatically support Mac and *nix, to be something I'd actually code in. Without those criteria, it'd be something I'd avoid using as much as possible, probably even to the extent of compiling custom .exes with revised C code over using the scripting. If that were to happen I'd likely try to treat the DOS version under latest DOSBox as flagship with the Windows port as secondary.