Author Topic: [COMPLETE] The Trial of Time Quest Pack  (Read 4258 times)

peewee_RotA

• View Profile
[COMPLETE] The Trial of Time Quest Pack
« on: March 04, 2014, 08:06:03 PM »
Trial of Time
Explore an evil keep to find a strange artifact that is altering time.

Difficulty - Easy
Level - 1st
Number of Maps - 4
Now on the Wiki!

This is a thief quest pack which rewards stealth and punishes rushing into danger. It is also much easier if you can muster a crossbow *hint hint*. Most challenges have multiple ways to beat and there are tons of secrets.

Most importantly, every level has a hidden gold coin placed in a hard to reach spot. You'll know when you've found it because it's off by itself. See if you can find all 4.

To install, extract to your main A&A directory (Normally C:\Games\Amulets & Armor). Start the game and choose the last quest in the list.

Note:
I've not tested it in multiplayer. I have a feeling it will need a fix or two to work properly there.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 06:47:42 AM by peewee_RotA »

peewee_RotA

• View Profile
Re: [COMPLETE] The Trial of Time Quest Pack
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2014, 08:51:52 PM »
Oh another note.. This questpack relies on the dynamic lighting in an alpha release. Since it uses blank .LIT files, the levels will be darker than they are supposed to be:

Here's the link to the newest alpha, that Lysle so awesomely put out for us, to solve that problem
http://www.amuletsandarmor.com/download/AA_Classic_Dev_v1.04a.zip
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 11:06:17 PM by peewee_RotA »

el zee

• DEFEND THYSELF
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • elzee.co.nz
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2014, 06:13:21 AM »
Just gave this a playthrough.  I had no trouble playing through all levels as a level 1 mercenary.

Really nice work, especially for the 1st user created quest :D I can't begin to describe how awesome it was to play some new AA content. Adding the wolves was awesome, since you never see 'em usually.

LysleShields

• Administrator
  • Is the potion half full or half empty?
    • View Profile
    • Amulets & Armor
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2014, 11:30:27 PM »
Fantastic!

I just went through the whole quest and did it proper -- no cheat codes, no map editor, played a first level starter character (I chose Knight).  I liked it and was able to see all the details you put into the level, the quest, and even saw how you balanced the game play.  And I don't know how many times I went in circles on that third map.  So many details.  Excellent!

Congratulations on creating the first community generated quest.

Now, of course, you're on the hook to continue the story!

BTW, your levels showed me how I can improve the rendering in places (brown really doesn't shade well in the engine).  I think I'll use your third level as one of the test levels for improving the rendering system.

Hmm, but did I find all the secrets.  I don't think I found one truly secret room -- which makes me think I missed something.

peewee_RotA

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2014, 06:17:53 AM »
I've got some ideas for quest #9 to continue the story, but I need to figure out the store triggers for new items. It'll likely require a code change.

Every level has a secret room that takes some doing to get into.

The first level's is the easiest to get into, but is made to be hard to find without a magic map.

The second level technically has 2 secret rooms. The first, which requires an epic fight, grants you access to the second unless you are a rogue who can simply jump to the second, with enough practice.

Level 3's secret is the hardest because you need flying to get to it. I put it in so that someone returning has more to explore, but I'm certain someone else will figure out a way in that I didn't think of. Like jumping on a monster's head or using the leap spell.

Level 4's secret rooms are just those locked doors, but they exist strategically because thieves can easily pick the lock, but other classes have to draw attention with spells and have enough mana just to get there. (not to mention, most classes don't have the runes for knock/force door yet) However, there are more items sitting around in plain sight in the outdoors section if you can get high enough to see them. Only the rogue jumps high enough at the start to get to these ones.

LysleShields

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Amulets & Armor
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2014, 10:12:38 AM »
Alright, this sounds good.  This means I'll have to wander around a bit more before going to the editor (fine with me).

BTW, we should probably send out an update to everyone on the mailing list about this added content.  But first, there were some glaring grammar errors in the quest intro that need to be fixed (a "the the" and another I'm forgetting).  Then we can upload it on the wiki.  I think we can just put a file link on http://wiki.amuletsandarmor.com/index.php?title=Community_Maps

peewee_RotA

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2014, 12:04:36 PM »
I did some spell checking and re-uploaded the zip. (same download link). Wiki matches as well.

Also I added in all 4 spawn points to each map. Originally I only had them for player 1.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 12:11:11 PM by peewee_RotA »

James Rossi

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2014, 03:18:46 PM »
I'm sure I missed a few secrets but this was a really solid quest! It also got me and Lysle talking a bit about things that would help benefit customization of new quests. Like the ability to set enemy difficulty. So you could I guess have an easy to defeat dragon for instance. Or harder skeletons.

peewee_RotA

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2014, 06:36:03 AM »
Been a bit busy with regular life projects, but I wanted to post my idea for quest 2 in this line. (Again, I'll probably put out a patch to the community edition to update the store when you complete custom quests)

Anyway, there are no quests themed properly for the Sailor. The barbarian quest has a little bit of a maritime theme but not much. So I'm thinking of a shipping dispute that reveals some more details about Lord Marcus' plans and what kind of evil powers lie behind his bid to expand his fiefdom. That should be fun :)

AntiMatter_16

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2014, 02:29:15 AM »
Finally finished this campaign (I've been meaning to for a while), and found it really enjoyable. Soon after it first came out, I tried a playthrough with a mage, and got my butt kicked. (Mage is really weak). Although I completed the quest (this time with a Knight), I get the sense that I've missed a lot. I really liked how a lot of the regular enemies from later levels were used as sort of minibosses in this campaign. There was also a fair bit to explore here and there, and there seem to be a lot of secrets. There was a lot of attention to detail on the missions too. A solid quest! I'll be replaying this in the future, but I hope you make more. ^_^

peewee_RotA

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2014, 12:07:08 PM »
Added script source file for L82 to the wiki. This was the only map with any custom scripting.

http://wiki.amuletsandarmor.com/index.php?title=Trial_of_Time

peewee_RotA

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2014, 09:24:13 PM »
For anyone not sure if they found all of the secrets, here they are!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uQOwtn_r-E&list=PLe8e2ODfh0V29qCiRRjDZHz37q0HhEJhq&index=2

LysleShields

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Amulets & Armor
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2014, 10:54:40 PM »
Nicely done.  It is nice to see how you focused on the rogue.  I think I had some problems jumping around as a Knight or Priest.

Also, I think I had found all the secrets except one of them (the very last one).  I also had explored the teleporter at the bottom of the griffon bridge (not mentioned in the videos, but obviously found when people are dying).

peewee_RotA

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2014, 06:17:56 AM »
 :D

There were 3 places that I left out of the video because I don't really consider them secret. The spells in the back of level 4, the pit of death in level 3, and the teleporter in level 3. I did visit its destination to show off what is sitting beside the pool, but the teleporter is just a way to get out of the lava without dying. (if you survive the fall). Standard doom level design.

In fact, when Quake started making lava pits without teleporters, it really threw us Doom fans for a loop. Ahh, nostalgia.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 06:20:56 AM by peewee_RotA »